How To Start A Mesh Local
Note that theses are suggestions at best and are not to be taken as requirements. You can do these steps in any order you please, or skip a few if you feel like it.
- Contact the rest of Project Meshnet on IRC or on reddit. We can help you with any of these steps.
- Create a basic online presence. We recommend:
- A post on /r/darknetplan
- A page on this wiki. Be sure to include
[[Category:Mesh Local]]at the bottom and list it on this page.
- A mailing list. Google Groups is a popular choice for that.
- Your own subreddit.
- An IRC room so people with questions can come by. Not everyone is into IRC, so if it's not your thing don't worry about this step.
- Have a kickoff meeting. Takes notes, put it on the wiki. Figure out what you want to do, what resources you have available, and how best to go about getting a mesh network set up in your area
- Accquire a relevant domain name (Usually <insertlocalityhere>mesh.net).
- Set up Nodeshot, a Google Custom Map or another mapping utility for your group. Also, Derp has offered to host Nodeshot maps, prod Meshnet_derp on Reddit or derpz/derp on IRC and he'll create a local map for your meshlocal.
- Start setting up nodes! (OpenWRT is a good firmware to base your network on!)
- Eventually, peer with other Mesh Locals near you.
- Long term, everyone will peer with everyone in some manner
- At this point, we will have a Global Meshnet!